Here are some quick tips to keep your plumbing functional and leak free during the winter months.
- Avoid frozen pipes at all costs! – Let cold water trickle from your faucets. This will allow a steady temperature to remain in your copper plumbing system and prevent a burst pipe, which is one of the most expensive plumbing repairs.
- Watch your water pressure! – If you notice a drop in water pressure, you may be experiencing a frozen pipe. A slightly frozen pipe can block water causing the pressure to build and potentially burst your pipe.
- Circulate warm air – If you have central AC, be sure and let the heat circulate throughout the home. Open cabinets at night. This will also prevent frozen pipes from bursting and costing you a fortune.
- Disconnect garden hoses! – This is one of the most important things to remember. If ice begins to form in the garden hose, it will ultimately begin to block pressure, causing catastrophic leak issues. Add jackets to outside hose bibs to prevent cold air from freezing connected pipes. They usually run about $3 at Home Depot.
- Close the hatches! – Be sure to close and cover any crawl space doors(inside and out). This will help prevent your pipes from freezing, as well as keep the heating bill down.
- If we experience a snow day in Dallas / Ft. Worth, make sure it doesn’t block any drainage pipes.
If you have any questions or need an emergency repair on a burst pipe or any other type of leak, call us at 214-221-8370. Or you can email us direct from our website. www.DeLongServicesInc.com